Monday 19 November 2012

Day 17 - Sucre to Potosi

I was up early and caught a taxi (5 Bolivianos) to the bus terminal hoping to catch the 7am bus to Potosi. As soon as I jumped out of the taxi, I was approached by a lady selling tickets for Potosi, and so I bought one for 17 Bolivianos and was told the bus would be leaving at 6:30am!



Taxi in Sucre - No stirring wheel!


The bus left on time and it was quite an uneventful trip other than the ever present salesman jumping on board shortly after we got going, selling some kind of bottled liquid to help with stomach problems? I was actually amazed at how many people bought the stuff!

I arrived in Potosi at 9:40am and I decided to catch a local bus into town, (I picked one that said 'Plaza' on the front and I think it was number 10?) however the journey took longer than normal as there were some road blocks. After being dropped off at Plaza 10 De Noviembre I decided to head for Hostal La Casona, but after being ignored at the reception for a good five minutes I thought 'sod em'! And so crossed the road and booked into the Hostal Compania de Jesoes, where I was greeted by a nice friendly lady and so booked myself in at 80 Bolivianos a night with bathroom and breakfast.

I later walked around Potosi and immediately liked it (more so than Sucre); however the amount of traffic and the fumes were a little off-putting. I ended having something to eat at a restaurant on Calle Cobua, which had a set 'almuerzo' with the main being 'Picante de Pollo', which wasn't really spicy at all and was quite cold! However as the whole meal consisted of an appetizer, soup, main dish and a desert I couldn't grumble at paying 15 Bolivianos! The young guy in the restaurant also told me about his friend that manages a tour company called 'Big Deal Tours' whom he recommended I should use to see the nearby silver mine.



Arco de Mejillones in Potosi


Arco de Mejillones in Potosi


Potosi


I walked around Potosi a little more and checked out some of the wonderful churches, before heading to the Convento-Museo Santa Teresa where I was a little early for the guided tour and so popped into a nearby cafe for a coffee before heading back at 3pm. Back at the church I met a very friendly lady at the ticket office (who was a very big fan of the Beatles, especially John Lennon!) I was then introduced to another equally charming lady who announced she would be my guide for the next hour and a half (she spoke excellent English). It turned out to be a very fascinating if not disturbing insight into the lives of nuns during the colonial era.


Iglesia de San Lorenzo - Potosi


Iglesia de San Lorenzo - Potosi


Potosi


Torre de la compania de jesus - Potosi


Convento-Museo Santa Teresa - Potosi


Convento-Museo Santa Teresa - Potosi


Convento-Museo Santa Teresa - Potosi


Convento-Museo Santa Teresa - Potosi


I later headed for 'Big Deal Tours' just off the Plaza where I met a very helpful friendly young guy by the name of Efran, who gave me a brief introduction into what happens during the tour of the local mine (Cerro Rico). I also learnt that Efran used to be a miner himself, and that his tour company is the only company in Potosi that is operated by miners themselves. I decided to book the tour for tomorrow morning at a price of 100 Bolivianos.

I later had my evening meal in a restaurant along El Boulevard and had Quina soup (Andean grain soup) with steak and chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment