Monday 5 November 2012

Day 3 - La Paz to Copacabana

I was up early and had my breakfast at my hotel before checking out and heading off for the cemetery district to catch the bus to Copacabana. I wasn't walking very long before I spotted a mini bus heading up Avenida Bapista with a sign for 'Cementrio' at the front and so I jumped on board. However I am not sure why but as I noticed the bus just climbed and climbed and so I decided to stay on board without jumping off at the cemetery and kept going up and up! As the minibus began to climb even further I was really impressed with the views and decided I would stay on until we reached the top. I paid the driver two Bolivianos, he only wanted one, but I gave him two because of my backpack!


La Paz and Mt illimani at 6438 metres


I had a quick look around the market and purchased a bag of coca leaves for 2 Bolivianos (I gave the young girl 4 Bolivianos as I asked if I could take her picture with her actually scooping up some of the leaves, it made a great photograph! I then started the slow hike back down the steep road taking a good few pictures of the surrounding snowcapped mountains and some of the locals going about their daily business. I was really glad I stayed on the bus!



Market Day


Buying coca leaves!


I soon flagged down another minibus down and was taken to the cemetery district (1 Boliviano), the locals on board pointed out to me where the bus to Copacabana was stationed. I jumped off and walked towards a waiting coach where the driver was standing outside, and within a few minutes my backpack was on board and I had my ticket (25 Bolivianos), and we were off at 10 am! Good morning’s workout!
It soon became apparent the bus headed off in the direction I had just left! It was slow starting to begin with, passing a lot of traffic, but it wasn't too long before we were seeing quite dry barren landscape and farmers working in the fields. After a couple of hours we reached the ferry crossing at Lake Titicaca, whereby I became a little confused. Some of us, including myself were ordered off the bus (whilst it was driven onto the ferry) to the nearby ticket booth to purchase a ticket (1.5 Bolivianos) so we could then catch a boat across the lake and meet our bus on the other side. I just didn't understand why some people stayed on the coach whilst being ferried? Weight issue perhaps?




Crossing Winay Marka - Lake Titicaca

Getting off the boat - Winay Marka (Lake Titicaca)



Once I crossed the other side of the lake, I had to wait another 10 minutes for my coach to arrive; it seemed to be stuck in the middle of the lake for a while! It wasn't long and we were all on board again, and the views became even more dramatic with the Cordillera Reel in the distance. We finally reached Copacabana at 1:30pm. I grabbed my map again and made my way to Hostal Leyenda (as I liked the write up in my guidebook!), and was soon greeted by the owner who informed me that he had no single rooms and only a double at 150 Bolivianos, I bargained at 280 Bolivianos for two nights. It was a little more than I was expecting to pay, but the room is great, with good views overlooking the lake.

I settled in and then headed off for some much needed food! I walked along the nearby Avenida Costanera and visited one of the many food stalls. I had 'Trucha la Plancha', grilled trout from the lake which was lovely. I was only charged 22 Bolivianos which included a bottle of cola, which I thought was great value for money, no doubt much better value for your money than Avenida 6 de Agosto in town!


I later had a little walk around town and ended up having mocha on Avenida 6 de Agosto for the princely sum of 12 Bolivianos! Best avoided in my opinion, I must seek out the local Mercado.





No comments:

Post a Comment