Tuesday 27 November 2012

Day 25 - Puerto Chubica-Atulcha to Uyuni (Day 4 of Salar de Uyuni Tour) & a night bus to La Paz

We were all up at 4:30am as the plan (I thought) was to see the sun rising over Incahuasi Island, however it turned out we were just going to watch the sun rise over the salt lake itself. It was quite cold when we stepped out onto the salt lake at 6am; but it was amazing to be standing on the largest salt lake in the world whilst the sun was slowly rising.


Salar De Uyuni


Salar De Uyuni


Salar De Uyuni


After taking a few photographs we then made our way to Incahuasi Island, here we had our breakfast which included some cake (baked by Javier’s sister?) which was great and just what we all needed. We spent about an hour and a half exploring this wonderful island before heading off on foot along the salt lake before Javier picked us up.



Incahuasi Island


Incahuasi Island


Incahuasi Island


After driving for a while along the salt lake, Javier then stopped and told us we had about an hour to take some crazy photographs! Javier also showed us a small hole in the lake and we were all amazed when he showed us the amazing crystals that form underneath. I decided to break a piece off as a souvenir!


Salar De Uyuni


Salar De Uyuni


Salar De Uyuni


Salt Crystals under the Salar De Uyuni


We then carried on further long the salt lake and stopped at the Salt Hotel, which was a bit of an anti-climax, (I am not sure why we really bothered). Further on we spotted the amazing piles of salt drying out before being exported, which made for some dynamic photographs.


Salar De Uyuni


Salt Hotel on the Salar De Uyuni


Salt Hotel on the Salar De Uyuni


Salt Piles on the Salar De Uyuni


We finally stopped at the salt craft market for a walk around before having lunch together. It was here that Javier presented us with a survey to fill out; asking our thoughts on how we thought the four days went! Clearly we all had a lot to say and so we let Joanne do all the writing, she managed to fill the back of the survey as well! When we handed it back to Javier he clearly looked a little concerned, and later when we were driving to the train cemetery he asked us what we had wrote. We tried to tell him that what we wrote was addressed at the company and not at him; although we got the impression he didn't really believe us.

When we arrived at the train cemetery we all had a good look around and it was I, Frasier and Joanne who were back at the vehicle first. Daniel and Rob continued to mess about, even when Javier hooted his horn they just continued to ignore him and I don't think he was too impressed. (I think Javier was keen to get back to Tupiza as soon as possible.)


The Train Cemetery in Uyuni


The Train Cemetery in Uyuni


The Train Cemetery in Uyuni


When we were finally dropped off in Uyuni, we decided to have a 'whip-round' for Javier. However when we all shook his hand it was clear something was bothering him. He obviously thought we complained about him on the survey, and so he chose not to accept our money and quickly drove off! I thought it was such a shame.

We then all said our goodbyes, although we knew we would probably bump into each other in town over the next few hours! Frasier and Joanne were catching a bus to Chile later in the afternoon. Rob and Daniel parted, (Rob appeared to want to keep in contact with Daniel, but I don't think Daniel was so keen!) Rob was staying the night in Uyuni before heading to Potosi, Daniel was a little indecisive about heading back to La Paz. I headed off in search of Amazonas and TAM as I wanted to see if I could fly out of Uyuni today and then onwards to Rurrenebaque?

I was told by Amazonas there was a flight to La Paz later in the afternoon, but I would have to catch a flight to Rurrenebaque on the following day. TAM weren't even flying out to La Paz today. I decided the money it would have cost me just wasn't worth it & thought the night bus back to La Paz would be my best option. Whilst heading back out of the town, I bumped into Frasier and Joanne and had a chat and we all agreed it was a shame about Javier not accepting our money. I bid them farewell and a safe trip to Chile.

I booked my ticket to La Paz on the 8pm bus (80 Bolivianos) and then made my way to the nearby 'Uyuni Hostal' and asked if I could have a room for 3 hours. The lady owner agreed at a price of 20 Bolivianos. She showed me one of the most depressing rooms I have stayed at whilst being in Bolivia!

I popped out for something to eat and then headed back to the hotel for a shower and some rest. The shower was locked and I had to ask the lady to unlock it, she subsequently told me not to take any more than five minutes! We had a small argument and I ignored her and took ten minutes!

My bus was ready to leave at 8pm and I spotted Daniel jumping on board and sitting near the front. However later he was told to move and ended up sitting in front of me, where we exchanged a few words.

I must have slept quite a bit as the journey did not seem to take that long, we stopped half way for about twenty minutes for coffee and a quick bite to eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment